Wednesday, 28 March 2012

Tailoring Part 1

My challenge for the year is coming along swimmingly. And when I say swimmingly, I mean doggy paddling. Slowly but surely. I'm in the process of making a muslin for Gertie's Bombshell dress, which I hope to have finished for a wedding I'm going to next month. Which I'm now beginning to feel is slightly ambitious. But anyhoo...

In the absence of anything constructive to show you regarding the dress, I thought I would fill you in on my tailoring course. I'm now 4 weeks into the course, and am really enjoying it! Hoorah!

My tutor, Anne, worked on Saville Row for years and seems to know what she's talking about. she promised me that she would teach me all about padstitching and welt pockets and bound buttonholes, and scared numerous people in the class in the process.

I'm going to sound horrible when I say this - the only thing that lets down the course is the other people taking it. Gasp shock horror bitch.

You know it's never a good sign when someone sees a sewing machine stitching and says "oh wow!". Not good. An hour and a half of the first lesson was spent with Anne trying to explain what a pattern was. the majority of people in the class had never used a sewing machine before!

Anyway my judgemental bitching has stopped now I promise.

Anne has been really helpful with my project so far - a winter coat. should be ready just in time for the hottest period of the year but never mind.

I'm making Butterick 5425 - The pointed collar version but in the shorter length. I chose this gorgeous red wool mix from Goldshawk Road, with a cream lining. The photo doesn't do the colour justice. Everytime someone in the class saw it they would automatically stroke it. It's that yummy.

So far I've done plenty of padstitching which I think is wonderfully neat. Much neater than my tutors...not that I'm competitive :-) 

Hers

Mine - it's a bit dark but hopefully you can see the lovely neat chevrons...
I don't know about you, but I find this padstitching wonderfully relaxing...

So, at the moment I'm working on the lapel, padstitching the hair canvas, chest canvas and Dommet (?) together. The next task will be to do a rolling padstitch to attach the lapel to the facing of the coat. I'll let you know how that goes...

xTwitchyx

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm Alice

    I would never have thought for a second that anyone would sign up for a tailoring class when they didn't even know what a sewing machine did! Hehe! I'm not surprised you're a bit irritated by this. I hope you didn't mention your blog to anyone(!)

    Your stitches look very neat and I'm suitably impressed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph, where are you?? There are tumble weeds blowin' through this blog!

    ReplyDelete