Saturday, 18 June 2011

Weekend Finds

Last weekend, I went home to visit my parents. My whole family is very close, so I'll head over to my parent way every 3 weeks or so.

However without my sewing machine, I tend to run out of things to do, and last weekend when I was in the magical land of Buckinghamshire, I found a variety of things to fill my time. And this is the result:



Although the streets of High Wycombe aren't great for thrifting and vintage, I managed to find my favourite pick ups in a charity shop. At first glance it appeared to be full of furniture, but you could see a shelf full of wool and I ended up finding these great vintage knitting patterns:



The top pattern is Sirdar no 5449, the second is Bestway no 2127, and the bottom two is the Marriners  no 224. I love the cute illustration inside the pattern. I don't suppose anyone knows about some sort of pattern wiki for knitting? I assume the top two are 40's and the bottom is 50's, but I'm not the best judge.

I also moved on to my next knitting project, alas, not from Vintage Knitwear for Modern Knitters, but from Thrown Together by Kim Hargreaves. I'm going to make the Evie cardigan in apple green.

I fear with such diddy needles, it's going to take me a lot longer to make than my shrug.

My gran also decided to add to my knitting booty by passing this booklet my way:

Even though the book and my gran agrees, I doubt very much the Peddlar pictured will be the collectible of the future.

I doubt I'll ever make anything from this, including the knitted baby brooches, knitted chessboard with matching knitted licorice pieces or knitted flowerpot finger puppets.

Call me crazy.

Another scrounge I made this weekend was this New Look Pattern. My sister and I ventured into sewing together a couple of years ago. While I was pleased with the outcome of my make, No 4 unfortunately was not, and she decided not to try again. I could encourage her to pick it up again, but then again it would mean giving this back:


And these as well:


Above is 3 metres of beige suiting, which will make a great skirt or work dress. She was kind enough to pass along the matching zip and cotton. Thanks my dear!

The final finds for the weekend were these buttons and a piece of lace.


I might use the buttons for the Ceylon dress I'm going to make. The buttons match the blue of my fabric and if I make it with the white piping, which against my better judgement I'm tempted to do, the final look might be very nautical chic. Or a big 'ole mess.

A very successful weekend, even if I say so myself...

This weekend, my siblings and I plan to treat Mummy Twitchy to a day out in London with sightseeing and play seeing all included. I might try and pack some sewing in there as well.

xTwitchyx

0 comments:

Post a Comment