Friday, 24 June 2011

I'm breaking up with you

Lacy Macaron, it was fun while it lasted. But I think it's time we took a break. It's not you. It's me. Well it's kind of you, but you can't help it. We both started with such good intentions. Believing the best of each other, but I think our expectations were just too high. I'm moving on. Let's still be friends...

I've decided to step away from the Macaron dress for now. There's really not that much left to go. Lining, check. Hemming, check, finishing, uhh...ummm. No.  The Macaron dress calls for facings, which I decided to eliminate because the yoke would be sheer. Turns out there's a problem when it comes to sheer fabrics. You kind have to think about what you're gonna do with the seams once you finish.

At first I was thinking bias binding. However several tutorials later, and all I had was this:



For some reason, I just couldn't get it right. The width was either to large or too small. So I've come to the conclusion that I should just give this up for the time being, come back with a fresh perspective and increased enthusiasm. So I'm moving on to my little niece's dress next.

She very kindly wriggled whilst I tried to measure her, and then made art on the note paper (adorably cute by the way. I may have to put it on my fridge). Plus the tape measure at home-home is missing a chunk which means I have to deduct three inches from all the measurements when I start. Hopefully this is not a sign that all will go horribly, horribly wrong. Not like the last tent I made her...

 And I have a small confession to make. You know that small resolution I had in Spring, about not buying any more patterns. Well...


Does it still count if it's a kit? I have been lusting after these corset kits from Sew Curvy for AGES. And Then Gertie kindly offered a 10% discount and I figured - fate!




Look how pretty it is! At the moment I'm enjoying looking at the packaging rather than facing the idea of actually making one of these things. That's another thing to add to the list.....

xTwitchyx

2 comments:

  1. Wow, a corset! That will be an interesting project for you. Let us know how it goes. Very wise to step away from the bias frustration and come back to it fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny. I completely get your relationship with your Macaron. I mostly sew at night and more often than not have conversations with my projects. Mostly sweet-talking them into working out. I think thats enough information.... off to the funny farm!

    ReplyDelete