Wednesday, 2 March 2011

Why having a Grandma is cool...

I haven't managed to do a lot of sewing recently. I went home for the weekend (not so sunny Buckinghamshire) to visit my family who are suffering after the departure of No.5 for Sydney. She's only going for 3 weeks, but apparently that's just too long for my Mum and Dad!

On Saturday I went to visit the Hell Fire Caves, which is situated in West Wycombe, and used to be the occasional meeting place of the Hell Fire Club. Well known members of this group included Lord Sandwich and Benjamin Franklin. The outside of the caves is beautiful:


The Caves themselves were a bit rubbish. Madame Tussuad leftovers and old Halloween decorations were scattered about. There was a lot of information about the life of Benjamin Franklin and old visits by Most Haunted, but not a lot about the local area, the chalk mining etc. There is a bit of family history with this place, as my Grandfather's company were contracted to light the place when it was refurbished many years ago.

But anyhoo, I also went to visit my Grandma who decided she wants to clear out her sewing kit and this worked out very well for me!

 These are my favourite items from the haul, which included some thread, lots of buttons, pins and things.




The top picture is of handpainted mother of pearl buttons, which I'll have to save for something really special.
The middle is an ivory belt buckle. I'm going to sideline the fact that it's ivory, seeing as it's an antique. You can't really tell from the picture, but it's been carved with roses and leaves.
The bottom picture are antique scissors. Hopefully you can tell from the image that it's a heron! They won' be used for sewing but they'll be treasured.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to finish off the Beignet skirt within a couple of days. I'm looking forward to getting back behind the sewing machine!

x Twitchy x

0 comments:

Post a Comment