Monday, 21 March 2011

Swapping thread for yarn...

Well, after the incredibly exhausting weekend being all touristy last week, I was going to dedicate this weekend to sewing. Unfortunately, this did not happen. As nearly always happens when you procrastinate during the week "I'll only trace my pattern this week seeing as I'll be sewing all weekend" and "I'll cut out the muslin at the weekend, aster all it is two days!", I put it off all of Saturday, and then all of Sunday.

The reasons - in my head at least - are two fold. Firstly, I recently got a knitting book called Vintage Knitwear for Modern Knitters, and I thought I would give it a go. However, when I do this, I'll sit and knit and knit and before I know it, 5 hours have passed and I haven't had a sip of water the entire time.

This is what I'm working on:



 The joy of it, is that it's coming together really really quickly. It would have gone even quicker if I hadn't of done this:




You may or not be able to tell from the photo that I copied out the pattern, with row numbers and shapings. I always get things wrong, so I've found that doing this means I make fewer mistakes, but does make me feel like a complete nonce. Am I the only one who does this?

The second reason for my halted process in sewing is that I'm having second thoughts about my fabric choice. You may remember that I was going to make Vogue 8615. I was thinking this fabric:


but I'm now thinking that this is a bit busy for such a high neck and swooshy skirt. So what do we think? Yay or Nay? Sew or not to Sew? Perhaps match some plain navy (it is in fact navy) fabric on top and have the pattern on the bottom? Or go floral crazy? Love to hear your thoughts, as I'm evidently unable to make my own decision.

x Twitchy x

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see how the cute knitting comes along. What a sweet pattern. As for the dress - it could work? Have you tried draping it around you as it might end up? You might find that it is not a super high neck anyway - the drawing shoes some clavicles suggesting a bit of scoop going on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that knitting book - you'll have to let me know how you get on. Is that Walthamstow fabric I spy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is indeed! Hopefully now the muslin is made, I'll get the fabric cut out, and more pictures up by the end of the week!

    ReplyDelete