Tuesday, 8 March 2011

It's still not finished...

That's right. I am still yet to finish my Beignet skirt. I don't think I've ever spent this long on a project!

On the one hand, it's so far looking a lot neater than the majority of my projects, but the wool crepe I bought is in hindsight, probably a bit to bulky for the job. And what with the weather getting warmer (isn't it gorgeous today?!) I probably won't be able to get a lot of wear out of it.

The problems I managed to have so far are:

Understitching. A very simple concept, but why oh why did it take me an evening to work out what this is? I had the pattern glossary, The Sewing Book and the internet. And I still couldn't work out what it was. (In the end I took this as a sign to give up sewing for the day, and managed to wrap my brain around the idea in 2 mins the following day!)

Lining. Somehow the lining is about half an inch longer than the shell! I have no idea how I managed this. Also, I'm mildly confused about the hem step. Am I meant to catchstitch the hem? Or the lining to the hem? (comments, suggestions, HELP, would be appreciated...) The most explicit instructions in the world, and I still can't quite work it out.

It will look fantastic once it's done, but when that will be, I'm not quite sure.

I was also a it naughty and bought more patterns this weekend. My stash is getting out of control. Which is now why I vow not to buy any more patterns for the rest of the year. I know it's a bit late for New Years Resolutions, so this will be my Spring resolution. So for the rest of the year I will only sew the patterns I already have, including these lovely vintage ones:


So my Spring resolution this year will be to learn how to grade patterns as well. Because I've got to have those pyjamas.

x Twitchy x

0 comments:

Post a Comment